Title : Precision genomic addiction medicine as a frontline modality as a function of inducing “dopamine homeostasis” in reward deficiency syndrome (RDS): The future is now
Globally we are facing a serious pandemic of uncontrollable addictive seeking behaviors. The opioid crisis in America is just one important facet of this worldwide dilemma. The unfortunate fact is that in the United States 100,000 people prematurely died from opioid induced overdoses in 2021. Clinically providing opioids for opioid abuse reduces harm, it does not actually treat the underlying causes of this unwanted behavior. It is appreciated that one issue is linked to genetic polymorphisms tied to reward genes that constitute the well-characterized brain reward circuitry. In 1995 Blum’s group coined the term Reward Deficiency, Syndrome (RDS) as an umbrella term to help define the known common neurochemical overlap between substance and non-substance addictive behaviors. This construct has received some mixed reviews but is continually emerging as an acceptable psychological based disorder having both genetic polymorphic antecedents as well as known epigenetic insults. Currently, there are 213 articles listed in PubMed using the term RDS and “Reward Deficiency” with 1,406 listed (12/14/21). Understanding the potential impact of this construct may have on the addiction medicine field, the purpose of this perspective may provide the primary care physician and others with evidence related to RDS and its scientific basis. Moreover, we also highlight a case whereby RDS science was utilized to successfully treat a Substance Use Disorder (SUD) treatment resistant patient. A RDS treatment plan developed by one of us (EG), using Genetic Addiction Risk Severity (GARS) analysis, assessed neurogenetic challenge, for appropriate design of temporary pharmaceutical and long term nutraceutical intervention. As such we describe the RDS Solution Focused Brief Therapy (RDS-SFBT) and the RDS Severity of Symptoms Scale (SOS) which could provide the clinician with a viable tool for achieving neurological balance, allowing the patient to achieve self-efficacy, self-actualization and thrive.
What will audience learn from your presentation?
- Audience will be introduced to Reward Deficiency Syndrome Solution which include Genetic Addiction Risk Score Testing to determine phenotype and appropriate neutraceutical amino acid therapy.
- The presentation introduces the new RDS paradigm, another frame through which to view addictive behavioral expressions which self-medicate dopamine deficiency challenge.
- RDS Solution Focused Brief Therapy is explained. A personalized RDS Severity of Symptom (RDS SOS!) self-measurement test scale is introduced.
- This case study report contributes novel application for personalizing comprehensive holistic treatment to address those neurogenetic issues which have previously remained untreated.
- This case study example of precision genomic addiction medicine is a model for the current transition of the treatment of Reward Deficiency Syndrome as a frontline modality to address RDS over the lifespan, not just in regards to addictive behavioral expression.